Most Urgent Needs of OWS Union Square Occupiers (abbreviated):
1) A SECURE INDOOR SPACE FOR STORAGE NEAR UNION SQUARE SOUTH
2) People to transport literature, signs, tables, etc. from storage and bring to park, set up. And people to staff outreach table & serve food (on days with cooked meals). Can sign up here…
3) Volunteers with good outreach skills and/or art skills to make signs etc, and work along frontage of 14th as well as within the large park area to engage NYC public.
4) Management of food donations and providing nutritional needs of occupiers and distressed New Yorkers
5) People with strong conflict resolution / mediation skills to provide security for the organizers and keep the community and volunteer environment safe and presentable to NYC residents
6) Updates to the website: OccupyUnionSquare.net
More detailed list of immediate needs:
1) A SECURE INDOOR SPACE FOR STORAGE NEAR UNION SQUARE SOUTH. WHERE WE CAN STORE OUR FOLD-UP INFO TABLES, FLYERS AND BASIC SUPPLIES. PLEASE CALL 646-470-3890 IF YOU CAN HELP
2) Volunteers are needed immediately to:
a) work at Info table – ideally 2 people per 3hr shift… can sign up here…
b) print out the daily schedule of OWS events and bring to the Info table in the morning. Ideally should be the same person who signs up on the morning shift!
c) join our park outreach team and talk to the NYC public and recruit volunteers or raise funds!!
d) make signs and hold them up at 14th St (and also possibly on the south side of 14th St.
e) help with keeping website up-to-date!
3) Printed flier donations / people with access to copy machines at work, school, etc. ( you can find printable flyers HERE )
4) Monetary donations at the info table at Union Square South (14th Street between). Letitia in OWS Kitchen… or anyone else who offers good healthy food! Online donations can be made also.
5) Bring food, WATER, gifts and your COMPASSION and SUPPORT! ENCOURAGE YOUR FRIENDS, CO-WORKERS, AND NEIGHBORS TO DO THE SAME **** Please note, we start breaking down tables etc around 7pm, so food should be donated earlier than that ****
6) In-kind donations … Donated use space, of food prep areas / kitchens, etc. (There is an Occupy Dessert Kitchen that needs space!… https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDessertKitchen )
- Bottled Water
- Vitamins & Supplements
- Baby wipes
- General Supplies
- Art materials – thick colored markers , poster paints, fabric for silkscreening
Food & Kitchen Supplies (coordinate with Kitchen staff… call 646-470-3890)
- Olive oil
- Canned beans
- Zip lock bags
- Aluminum trays
- Paper plates
8) Restaurant food donations ( Little Italy Pizza III 212-989-4225 or tinyurl.com/OccupieUnionSq and other restaurants to be added soon )